In today's mobile society, a parent with custodial rights may wish to move to another city or state for career, personal, or other reasons. In situations like these, both the custodial parent and the non-custodial parent have rights, although to different degrees.

If you are a custodial parent who wishes to move or a non-custodial parent facing a move by your former spouse, Pierce Law Offices can represent you. We can take action to protect your rights and the best interests of the children.

Your Rights and Responsibilities

If you are a custodial parent, you must provide adequate notice to the other parent of your pending relocation. You must also demonstrate to the Court that you have a valid reason for the move. Under the laws of Washington State, the non-custodial parent has the burden of showing that the move away is contrary to the best interests of the child.

While some highly contested cases are left to the Court to decide, in most cases, the parties' attorneys may be able to negotiate an agreement that is acceptable to both parents. Attorney Rodney G. Pierce is an experienced and astute negotiator. In more than 30 years of practice, he has negotiated successfully on behalf of clients in move away and visitation rights cases.

Our firm is skilled at reaching creative solutions and "win-win" outcomes, in which a workable solution acceptable to both parties is reached. In representing you in child custody, parental relocation, and visitation rights cases, we will always seek to protect your rights and the interests of the children.